The ‘Spider-Man’ Reboot Will Weave Its Web in IMAX
At the time of publication, this is all we know to be true of the upcoming Spider-Man reboot (or it it a re-reboot, or an unboot, or a different sort of boot entirely?):
- Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios will collaboratively produce the film.
- Cop Car director Jon Watts has agreed to take the helm.
- He’ll work from a script written by Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley, a.k.a. Sam Weir from Freaks and Geeks, the writer-directors of the recent National Lampoon legacyquel simply titled Vacation.
- Young Tom Holland will play Peter Parker, and Marisa Tomei (who looks like this) co-stars as his kindly Aunt May (who looks like this).
- It will open on July 7, 2017.
Aside from additional cast members and a general outline of the plot, that would appear to be all the germane information about this production that fans would need prior to its release. Not so! We still need to know the exact runtime on this thing, what it’ll be rated, which characters will make appearances and when, the design of Spider-Man’s costume, who will appear as his love interest, why it had to be yet another white woman, and whatever other tidbits can keep us occupied until the clock hits five and we get to return home from our day jobs.
The tidbit that today brings is relatively minor, but worth noting all the same, because otherwise we’d have to think about our past errors, current shortcomings, and insecurities over the future: according to Variety, the new Spider-Man is gonna play in IMAX. That’s it, really. When the movie debuts, which is a year and a half from now, it’ll play at your local IMAX-enabled theater. So get psyched, and then maintain that level of excitement for the next eighteen months!