City of DBQ Guidelines on How to Handle Your Yard Waste This Fall
Colorful fall leaves are undoubtedly fun to look at, but raking them after they've let go of the branch is another story. So, if you're living in the City of Dubuque, there are some guidelines to follow regarding yard waste.
Follow these simple rules to keep the yard, neighborhood, and City looking good.
Dubuque residents may set out their yard waste on their regular collection day. However, you must make an appointment for winter yard waste collection.
The solid waste crew will not accept yard waste in regular plastic. Instead, it uses. Instead, use a designated Brown Paper Yard Waste Bag. Additionally, you may bundle brush and limbs with City of Dubuque brush ties with a single-use sticker.
Instruction for disposing and setting out yard waste
- Place in a brown paper yard waste bag not to exceed 40 pounds with a yellow single-use sticker; or
- 35-gallon rigid solid waste containers with either single-use yard waste stickers looped on the handles or the City's 2022 annual yard waste decal displayed; or
- City-issued 65-gallon yard waste tipper cart
Where do you get the Single Use Yellow Sticker? They may be purchased at most Dubuque discount and hardware stores, including:
- Big Ten Mart
- Blains Farm & Fleet
- Hartig Drug
- Kwik Stop
- Steve's Ace Hardware & Home & Garden
- Super Stop
Know what you can toss. Acceptable items include:
Acceptable Yard Waste Items
- Fallen fruit and nuts
- Flowers and potted plants (no pots)
- Garden plants and culls
- Grass clippings
- Pinecones and pine needles
- Real Christmas trees (Merry Mulch)
- Straw bales and corn stalks
- Tree trimmings
The City Offers Leaf Rake-Out Appointments
You may schedule your leaf rake-out collection by appointment during October and November each year.
If you still have questions about what is acceptable or how to best handle an item, the City of Dubuque has a searchable database called REThink Waste on its website. Enter the item name to get a comprehensive list of instructions for dozens of household and yard items.
Municipal Services Center 925 Kerper Ct., Dubuque, IA 52001 | Phone: 563.589.4250
Phone customer service: Monday - Friday: 7 a.m. - 3 p.m. In-person customer service: Monday - Friday: 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.
For more information, visit the City of Dubuque Public Works Webpage.